Radio Normandie was one of the most successful commercial radio stations in Europe in the years between the two world wars. It was based in the small French coastal town of Fécamp, which became one of the evocative names on radio dials. From its origins in the Radio Club de Fécamp, a gathering of enthusiasts founded in January 1924, it was granted licence EF81C by the French PTT (telegraph authority) in 1926 and on 18 November that year became a fully-fledged broadcaster as Radio Fécamp. The original equipment is shown in the picture on the right.
In 1928 a new transmitter gave the fledgling station a range of 100 km, enough to cover not only Normandy and much of north-west France but also to reach across the Channel to southern England. In 1929 Radio Fécamp became Radio Normandie. It occupied several buildings in the coastal town of Fécamp, the principal one being the villa Vincelli la Grandière [main picture above]. Maison de la Radio was closer to the town centre [below left]. The transmitter array was on the cliffs to the west of the town [below right].
Page updated 28 July 2008