UK cinema circuit profiles
Work in progress
Provincial Cinematograph Theatres
Head office: London.
Chairman: Sir William Bass (brewer), managing director: R T Jupp
Capital £100,000, increased to £400,000 in 1913. Subsidiaries: Formed Associated Provincial Picture Houses in 1914.
Activities: Mainly purpose-built cinemas.
Associated Provincial Picture Houses
Formed by PCT in 1914; capital £500,000
Essoldo Circuit (Control)
Formed: 1938 as North East Coast Cinemas Ltd.
Head office: Newcastle
Chairman/'governing director': Sol Sheckman (also chairman and governing director of 20th Century Cinemas, chairman and managing director of SM Associated Cinemas).
Policy: Most cinemas acquired as going concerns during the 1940s and early 1950s. Many converted to bingo in the late 1960s.
First acquired site: Queen's Theatre, South Shields (briefly)
Company name was formed from the Sheckman family names: ESther (his wife), SOL, DOrothy (his daughter).
E C Clayton
Formed: 1903 (Clayton's Bioscope, Sheffield)
Head office: Sheffield
Head office: moved from London to Hassocks, near Brighton in the early 1950s.
Director: Edward F Lyons (joint managing director of GB-Kalee; founder of E A Langrish & Co 1915, merged with Kershaws in 1934 to form Kalee, becoming GB-Kalee in 1943; director of Rank Precision Industries).
SM Associated Cinemas
see also Essoldo
20th Century Cinemas
see also Essoldo. No connection with Twentieth Century-Fox
Cinema statistics index