• Candid Camera (WJZ-TV New York for ABC network, from 10 August). Comedy
stunts on unsuspecting public.
• Hopalong Cassidy (NBC, from 28 November). Cowboy adventures.
• Milton Berle Show (NBC, from 8 June). Variety/comedy.
• Nature of Things (NBC, from 5 February). Prime-time science.
• Texaco Star Theater (NBC, from 21 September). Drama, hosted by Milton Berle. During its run to 1956 it becomes The Buick-Berle Show and then The Milton Berle Show.
• Toast of the Town (CBS, from 20 June). Music and chat show, hosted by Ed Sullivan. Sponsored by Lincoln-Mercury, it runs until 1971.
• The Original Amateur Hour (DuMont, from 18 January). Talent show hosted by Ted Mack, transfered from radio. Among future stars appearing during the next 22 years are Pat Boone and Teresa Brewer. The programme migrates over time to all the other networks.
• We the People (CBS, from 1 June). Current affairs discussion, on radio since 1936.
• Mrs Dale's Diary (BBC, from 5 January at 16:15). Weekday daily soap.
• Reith Lecture (BBC Home Service, 26 December). First of annual series is given by Bertrand Russell.
• Any Questions (BBC Home Service, October). First edition of the weekly political discussion (still on air in 2004).
• Take It From Here (BBC Light Programme, from 23 March). Comedy, written by Frank Muir and Denis Norden.
• Top 20 (Radio Luxembourg). Record charts programme, presented by Teddy Johnson.
• Candid Camera (Allen Funt for ABC). Practical jokes. Transferred from radio, where is started a year earlier.
• My Favourite Husband. Sitcom, Starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
• Stop the Music (ABC).