Cultural highlights of 1970
TV shows: UK
• Doomwatch (BBC1), apocalyptic drama; Mondays (from 9 February)
• Manhunt (London Weekend/ITV), war drama; Fridays at 9pm
• The Nine O'Clock News (BBC1), transferred from 20:50 (from 14 September)
• The Onedin Line (BBC1), nautical historical drama; Thursdays (from 15 October)
• Play for Today (BBC), single plays; Thursdays at 9.25pm (replacing The Wednesday Play)
• The Six Wives of Henry VIII (BBC), historical drama; Thursdays (from 1 January)*
• Up Pompeii! (BBC), historical comedy; Thursdays (from 26 March), later Wednesdays at 9.10pm
• Whicker's Walkabout (Yorkshire/ITV), seven-part documentary series; Mondays at 8pm
• The Benny Hill Show (Thames/ITV), comedy; Wednesdays at 8pm
• Callan (Thames/ITV), drama; Wednesdays at 9.15
• Coronation Street (Granada/ITV), soap; Mondays and Wednesdays at 7.30pm (all year).
• The Main Chance (Yorkshire/ITV), legal drama; Wednesdays at 9pm
• The Morecambe and Wise Show (BBC2), comedy; Thursdays at 8.15pm [transferred from BBC1]
• On the Buses (London Weekend/ITV), sitcom; Fridays at 8.30pm
• Please Sir (London Weekend/ITV), comedy; Sundays at 7.20pm
• Special Branch (Thames/ITV), crime drama; Wednesdays at 9pm
• This is Your Life (Thames/ITV), biography; Wednesdays at 7pm
• Till Death Us Do Part (BBC1), sitcom (repeats); Saturdays at 9.45pm
TV shows: US
• All My Children (ABC), soap.
• Flip Wilson Show (NBC), comedy.
• Bob Hope Christmas Show (NBC's highest ever rating), comedy/variety (15 January).
Radio shows: UK
• Start the Week (Radio 4, from 6 April). Discussion; Mondays at 09:00-09:45. (Still on air.)
• PM (Radio 4, from 6 April). News magazine; weekdays at 17:00-18:00. (Still on air.)
• The World Tonight (Radio 4, from 6 April). News; weekdays at 22:00-22:45. (Still on air.)
Radio shows: US
• American Top 40 (Premiere Radio Networks, from 4 July). Music chart, hosted by Casey Kasem.
*There is an apocryphal story that when the BBC tried to sell this series in Japan, a request was made for an extra wife to be added to fit the seven-week schedule.