In 1939 the Radio Corporation of America used the occasion of the New York World's Fair to promote television. On 20 April 1939, RCA chairman David Sarnoff spoke to the uncountably small television audience from outside the RCA Pavilion at the World's Fair showground in New York: 'Now we add sight to sound.'
Ten days later, on 30 April, President Franklin D Roosevelt formally opened the World's Fair. The RCA pavilion was designed by architectural firm Skidmore & Owings in the shape of a radio valve when seen from above.
Page updated 28 July 2008