Radio shows: UK
• In Town Tonight (BBC, from 18 November). Topical magazine programme.
• Scrapbook (BBC, from 11 December). First of a series historical reviews year-by-year usuing contemporary audio recordings begins with 1913.
Radio shows: US
• Ma Perkins (various, from 14 August). First episode is broadcast on radio station WLW in Cincinnati, Ohio. Transfers from WLW Cincinnati to WMAQ in Chicago and goes nationwide from 4 December. It is later also broadcast on the CBS network. The title role is played by 23-year-old Virginia Payne, who plays the part for 7,065 episodes over the next 27 years.
• The Kraft Music Hall (NBC from 26 June). Variety show at the start of a run that will continue until transfer to television in 1949. Its host is Al Jolson (later succeeded by Bing Crosby, Milton Berle, Perry Como and others).
• The Lone Ranger (from 30 January). Cowboy series. It runs until 3 September 1954, a total of 2,956 episodes.
• Red Adams (NBC, from 2 October). Later renamed Red Davis, it continues on air until 1959.
Print media: US
• Esquire. First edition (4 October).